Thursday, May 15, 2008

The big day...Bike to Work Week

OK ... the bike's on the back of the van ready to be taken off and ridden (roden, rode?) home (19.9 miles by mapmyride.com)! The sun is shining, the path is all planned out -- I found that I can take one of the canal paths through the most treacherous part of the ride, so that's great! Thank goodness for the Trek FX that has the "in-between" tires -- perfect for canal riding. I'll even try to take pictures!

Have you heard about the free bikes Lipton is giving away? It's a WIN-A-BIKE competition -- you could win a Fuji bike? How cool is that? There are lots of places where you can enter, but here's one at FindingFlabuless' website.

If you read through the (sparse) blogs I've written, it's easy to see that 1) I love riding and 2) it's been very important in helping me lose weight. I'm down 30 pounds since last June with about 30 more to go. I've been stuck at the 170 mark for a while, but I feel healthier and happier and I'm not gaining any back, so that'll work. Riding has given me a great sense of empowerment -- feeling like I have gained power back in my life after giving it away for so long. Every hill I look at and climb (or walk) over, helps me know I can do hills in one way or another. Every time I make a choice to get out on that road and ride even though the traffic's a little scary and I could drive instead, I feel like I'm making another healthy choice.

Now, where to put another bike? My Trek lives in the kitchen and my mountain bike is on my ex's balcony down the street ... maybe the bedroom??? :) I'm actually thinking of mounting a multiple bike rack on the kitchen wall -- sounding a little hardcore???

No comments: