Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spring is finally here

With all the pollen and rain and wind that comes along with it!

Finally, the weather is warming up again after a cold spell and high winds. So, I did my "loop around the park" ride which is 9-10 miles based on what part of the park I cut through. It's a nice ride with only 1 spot of 'treacherous' road ... about 1/8 of a mile of road under construction and heavily travelled. Sometimes, I just give it up and walk on the grass to avoid worrying about the cars flying by.

My goal this week and maybe this summer? I'm going to try riding home from work one evening a week and then riding to work with a friend who lives nearby. This week, I'm going to try taking the bike to work on Thursday and then riding the 20 miles home that evening. Then, Friday morning, I'll ride with her to work and drive back home. She works a slightly different schedule, but I can work that same schedule that day, too.

If I can do that once a week, I'll save about $8-10 worth of gas a week and get in an easy 20 miles on the bike. Lowering carbon emissions, saving money and getting some exercise ... who could ask for more???

5 comments:

Lainie said...

Sounds like a great idea, Ginger. Are you allergic to all the pollen out now? There's an insane amount of pollen around my house right now but luckily my allergies aren't toooo bad. I'm still working on getting a stationary bike (I'm afraid to ride the real thing because I'm such a klutz). I bow before your biking greatness.

GingersFit said...

Hey Lainie! I hope you're doing great and the klutz-i-ness hasn't resulted in any more injuries! I actually crashed on the really expensive bike I borrowed for one ride, but I just bruised my leg and ego and learned it's not always deadly to crash.

Yes, the pollen is crazy here ... I have some problems with allergies but even people who don't are having problems this year.

Tomorrow night is my first try at the ride from work thing ... I'll let you know how it goes. I figure if nothing else, I'll save 40 miles worth of gas a week and get 20 miles of bike riding in automatically! :)

Lainie said...

Cool, I see you joined the Healthy You Challenge!

Good luck with the ride from work!

Slenderella said...

Excellent! Love that you're wanting to bike it home from work, so beneficial in many ways. Best of wishes.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Sounds like you've been doing a great job of making healthy choices! I just won a bike and can't wait to get it and start riding around my little town and down the Santa Fe trail.
Path to Health