Thursday, September 06, 2007

Laboring over Labor Day

The holiday weekend turned into a challenge for me and I gained 2.2 pounds this week. I really refuse to stress over that -- I had a wonderful, relaxing weekend with my daughter (hubby and boys were out of town) and we enjoyed some beautiful weather. I exercised like a mad woman and it's that TOM, so the weight gain is just one of those things and it should be better under control next week.

I read a really interesting article in Women's Health magazine http://www.womenshealthmag.com/article/0,6176,s1-1-111-1847-1,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-News.Slider-_-cardio.vs..strength that talks about the differences between strength training and cardio training. As a result, I'm planning to cut back my cardio just a little (I was up to almost an hour a day 6 days a week) and do more strength training. My new plan is cardio 6 days a week for 35 minuts each with weight training for 20-25 minutes on top of that 5-6 days. I'll alternate upper and lower body so that I'm not working the same body parts 2 days in a row. But, it'll be interesting to see if the muscles will actually burn more fat for weight loss and if I'll start seeing more muscle definition and less inches.

Also planning to buy a new bike. Mine is a mountain bike and it feels like I'm sludging through mud when I ride (which was great for the off-road riding in California -- not so great for the roads/bike paths in New Jersey). I'm going to sell the old one and use the money towards a new Trek hybrid -- maybe this one: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/72fx/ . Can't wait to get back into the 15-20 mile rides my hubby and I were doing when we first met. I can just remember feeling very strong riding like that and I want it again!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Ginger,
I can almost guarantee you that lifting weights will change your body. I have lost 38 lbs but 40 inches.
I lift weights three times a week and push them hard. I can bench press 80 lbs and due 190 lbs on leg extensions!
It may take longer to see the results but it will be worth it. As you shed the weight the muscles will be waiting there for you to see them and your clothes will fit better sooner.

GingersFit said...

Cool Kathleen! You sound like a high school guy bragging about how much weight he can bench! I LOVE it!!!

I used to do a lot of weight lifting (before I ever needed to lose weight) and I saw some results in the arms, but not anywhere else. I could really care less about the weight loss ... more about trimming down and feeling healthy.

Thanks for the encouragement!