Monday, October 01, 2007

Fall is in the air

What a beautiful weekend here in Jersey! The weather was WONDERFUL for the high school football game and a little fall baseball. Hubby and the boys went to a Phillies game after the football game Saturday and #1 daughter was busy preparing for the homecoming dance, so I had some guilt-free ride time coming! I rode for 17 miles along the D&R Canal and had a WONDERFUL time! The path is hard-packed dirt most of the way and even though there were a LOT of people out walking and/or riding, it was still a pretty fast-paced ride ... more than I thought I could ever do! It makes me feel better about the ride I've signed up for in two weeks ... the Buck's County Covered Bridge ride. There are 20 and 30 mile versions that are flat and the others are all over 30 miles and include hills -- so I'm sticking to the flatter version. The day of the race, I'll decide whether to do the 20 or 30 miles based on how I'm feeling (and how hard the wind is blowing, probably!)

The best thing about all the increased activity, riding and losing weight is how good I'm feeling! I am currently being treated for depression and my therapist and I talk a lot about how the exercise is even better than drugs to help me feel better. Since I've ramped up the exercise and controlled the eating, I've been able to reduce a couple of my meds and even drop two altogether. Now THAT's something to be happy about!

More later on how the ride shapes up!

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Hey Ginger! Sounds like you're doing great! You're making me think about getting a bike now...but I'm such a klutz I don't know if I should. I have some nice trails near my house, though.

GingersFit said...

Hey girl -- miss you on the 5 a day but I enjoyed reading your blog -- I'm LOVING my bike! It's a really fun way to shake things up. Just don't look forward to winter... guess I'll just have to ride when the weather's nice!