Friday, August 03, 2007

It starts...

Eight weeks ago, I decided I was through carrying around all this extra weight. I would catch myself looking in the mirror, staring at my stomach and thinking how much I hated it. From my before pictures, taken the day I joined Weight Watchers (June 6, 2007), you can see that I could be mistaken as being pregnant.

I had been exercising pretty regularly for a year ... doing yoga a lot and some cardiovascular work but not consistently and not with any food plan. Finally, I decided it was time to really take my health and weight seriously and get moving.

I wish I had started blogging the day I started Weight Watchers, but I can't go back and change that so I'm moving forward now. Just like I can't change the 15+ years of eating whatever I wanted without worrying about weight. All I can do is make better choices today!

My journey started then and I've already lost 18 pounds of unhealthy, excess body weight. I started in a size 16 or 18 jeans and now down to a loose 14. I'm feeling slimmer already and love that my belly doesn't stand out below my bust.

I'm exercising 6 times a week -- at least 4 cardio and 2 strengthening workouts. I've done a bellydance class (loved that) and have hiked all over my local state parks. I really feel like one of those "athletic" moms now. And, I'm loving it.

When I hear people at the WW meetings or read on the WW boards how someone has all these reasons that they can't exercise, I want to scream "HEY! We all have challenges and obstacles and barriers and busy lives ... just get over it or stay fat!" Of course, I would never talk that way! :)

Thanks for joining me and I'll try to keep you up to date.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

You MUST take new pictures. After almost 20 lbs! You will be shocked at the change. If you look at my blog you will see pictures that I have taken each month since I started in January. I also take measurements which is extremely helpful, especially during the time when the scale doesn't budge.
Keep up the great job and if you need help, feel free to post me a note.